Planning permission is an approval from a specific local authority, allowing a proposed development project to proceed. It will be granted, subject to certain conditions or refused.
When do I need to apply?
You’ll probably need planning permission if you want to:
- build something new
- make a major change to your building, eg building an extension
- change the use of your building
There are many factors to be taken into consideration when reviewing your application, to include the following:
- size, layout, siting and external appearance of buildings and extensions
- the effect of your proposals on any neighbouring properties
- proposed use of the development.
How do I do it?
To find out if your project will need planning permission, contact your local planning authority (LPA).
You can apply for planning permission online through Planning Portal: